Voodoo zombie - voodoo zombie
You are now subscribed to our New Orleans e-newsletter and we'll send you the news each month. You can unsubscribe at any time directly from any mailing.
Sharing a love of horror films, heavy metal and underground music they started White Zombie. Rob came up with the name and wrote lyrics, Sean wrote riffs. They recruited fellow Parsons’ student Peter Landau to play drums and guitarist Ena Kostabi to make their first 7″, “Gods on Voodoo Moon”. The record was recorded in 2 hours for $30 at a studio found in the phonebook, Batcave, picked for its name and low price. The minimum vinyl was pressed – 300 – and covers were made for “free” on a color xerox machine at Sean’s work. The band proceeded on in this manner, living in apartments with rats, no heat, no kitchen, and sometimes no electricity. They walked all over Manhattan, trying to sell vinyl to the local record stores like Bleecker Bob’s, Midnight Records and Free Being. They spent the rest of their time cutting cardboard up to package records off to college radio, making flyers, mixing up wheat paste in buckets and trudging all over the East Village, Soho and LES at 2am trying to paste them up while dodging policemen. And gigging. CBGB’s was home, other venues were 8BC, the Pyramid, NoSeNo, and the Love Club at Lismar Lounge. Bands they played with at this time were their neighbors in the East Village/LES: Pussy Galore, Honeymoon Killers, Live Skull, Raging Slab, Blind Idiot God.
One of the first books to expose Western culture to the concept of the voodoo zombie was The Magic Island by W. B. Seabrook in 1929. This is the sensationalized account of a narrator who encounters voodoo cults in Haiti and their resurrected thralls. Time claimed that the book "introduced 'zombi' into . speech". 
- Poco - Call It Love
- Bangsters, The - The Scarlet Plague
- Arome - Visions Of Paradize
- Various - Face In The Mirror
- Pacific Division* Pac Div - Rollin'
- Eileen Farrell - Arias In The Great Tradition
- Studio 54 - Vol. 2 (In Memory Of Gianni Versace)
- Sir Real - The Breathing EP
- Beekeepers, The - Killer Cure
- Guzzard - Glued
- Ulf Tiehm - Bibi Und Tina 14 - Die Wildpferde - Teil 2
- Vikron - King Of The City / Long Cool Woman (In A Black Dress)
- Alpha & Omega - Awakening Of Gods
- Cock Sparrer - Still A Teenager At Heart
- Cleo Laine - Cleo's Choice
- Various - Kill Bill Vol. 1 (Original Soundtrack)
- DJ Brad * Brad·& DJ Brian* Brian - 4 You From Us
- Various - Zhark Compilation
- Sexteto Juventud - Mala
- DJ Frankcisko Garcia - Since U Been Gone